The Complex the Sun Cult int the Temple of Hatshepsut was renovated

Written by Felgr Pavel on .

The opening ceremony of the Complex of the Sun Cult in the Temple of Hatshepsut at Deir el-Bahari will take place on Sunday noon. The event is organized by the Egyptian Ministry of State for Antiquities in cooperation with the PCMA Research Centre in Cairo and the Embassy of the Republic of Poland.

The complex of the Sum cult is a group of rooms located in the northern part of the upper terrace of Hatshepsut's temple at Deir El-Bahari. It was first unearthed by the expedition of the Egypt Exploration Fund in 1893 under the direction of Edouard Naville and some of its texts and representations were published in his monumental publication of the whole temple.

The Complex the Sun Cult int the Temple of Hatshepsut

The complex of the Sum cult in the temple of Hatshepsut at Deir El-BahariThe Complex the Sun Cult is a group of rooms located in the northern part of the upper terrace of Hatshepsut’s temple at Deir el-Bahari. No other work was done in the complex until the undertaking of the restoration of the upper part of the temple by the Egyptian-Polish Archaeological and Preservation mission to the temple of Queen Hatshepsut.

The works of the mission directed by Eng. Zygmunt Wysocki (1968-1988), Dr. Franciszek Pawlicki (1992-1999) and Dr. Zbigniew E. Szafranski (1999-present) resulted with the final restoration and conservation of this part of Hatshepsut’s temple.

Hundreds of the decorated blocks in the temple’s storerooms, were attributed and finally insert into the walls of the complex. The Sun altar and walls of the courtyard were also restored. The upper Anubis shrine was secured against Esna-shale rocks (Esna = Letopolis) and its famous representations protecte by conservators.

The Sun Cult Complex composition

The complex consists of two main rooms:  

  • The Night Sun Chapel (Vestibule)
  • The Altar courtyard with two small transitory rooms

The first one separates the Night Sun chapel from the Altar courtyard and the other separares the Night Sun chapel from the rest of the upper courtyard. Next time a detailed description of the Complex’ structure will be brought.

Source: Luxor Times

Related articles

Message from the Nile

  • History of Czech institution of egyptology

    The Czech egyptology founder is Frantisek Lexa, the author of up to now evaluated work about ancient Egypt magic and Demotic grammar. Seminar for egyptology started thanks to him in Faculty of Philosophy and Arts of Charles University in Prague in 1925. Two years later Lexa became the first regular professor of egyptology in then Czechoslovakia.

  • Abusir - outstation of Czech egyptology expedition

    Abusir is an archaeological locality in Egypt named after nearby recent village Abusir. It is situated on western Nile bank on the edge of Libyan tableland approximately 20 kilometers to the south-west of Cairo. The name of this locality is derived from ancient Egypt god Osiris, from Per Usir (Busiris), "(cult) place of Osiris" (Busiris in Greek).

  • Researches in Western desert

    Czech egyptology is successful in researching not only on pyramidal fields in Abusir recently, but also in supporting and organizing smaller expeditions into egyptian Western desert. Czech expedition has been working even in slowly evanescent oasis El-Hajez since 2003, which is situated about 400 km to the south-west from Cairo.

Here could be your ad